THE GSD has claimed construction rubble dumped at the Europa Foreshore while a tunnel system is being cleared is not only an eyesore causing damage to a sensitive site but that the work is being conducted without the necessary health and safety considerations.
The issue was first raised by volunteer Bart Van Thienen who has for a number of years been
cleaning up the Foreshore of invasive plants and restoring the habitat.
A statement from No 6 said: “An area outside has been designated in which the debris is being placed temporarily for then hoisting up and over the wall to be disposed of.
“All the rubble will be removed as part of the project and the area will be fully restored.”
But the Opposition claim that the site, including a ramp construction on the walls high above the site, can be easily accessed by the public and has not been cordoned off in any way.
They also allege that workers were working without any personal protective equipment such as hard hats, eye protection and high visibility vests, and neither do they seem to have been provided with sanitary facilities.
Trevor Hammond, GSD spokesman for the Environment and Health and Safety, also said that work is causing damage to the plants in the reserve.
He said: "The site does not appear to adhere to any Health and Safety standards. When I visited on Friday there was a lone worker, the tunnels in which he was working were unlit and he was wearing no personal protective equipment. Had any accident occurred there would have been no way for this individual to call for help.
“Neither were any sanitary facilities apparently provided for the workers on site as such requirements appeared to be dealt with in a most public way. Furthermore, a ladder had been left on the scaffold rampart overhanging the walls high above the site, it was not secured and therefore allowed access onto the scaffolding a short distance from the tourists visiting Europa Point.
“No fencing had been erected around the site and the whole thing seems to be an accident waiting to happen."